Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Project N, Rambling Along

The project I began on November 1 has turned into a decent piece of work. I'd say it's half done as of today. I've begun NaNoWriMo several times and have not "succeeded" at it yet, but I always gain something from the experience. It may be that I'm not a person who benefits from the "messy draft" method, although my drafts are indeed messy. Driving along with only a bit illuminated before me is not my favorite method, but maybe it's useful: it forces me to juggle more in my head, and that strengthens muscles I didn't realize were becoming weak.

Carpal tunnel forced me to write the November stuff longhand, and that has also been surprisingly useful. It's the way I used to write all the time, before I fell for the technological bells and whistles. I think I'll keep to the longhand a bit longer. Brain to hand to paper.

So Project N. Three viewpoint characters, all children. I do love me an unreliable narrator, but I probably will have to make at least one of them ... reliable. It's a science fantasy, or at least that's my intention, so I sort of need an adult viewpoint, at the very least so that I can make sure the science part is clear without resorting to idiotic scenes involving professors explaining things to young children. (As you know, Bobby.) I hate that kind of thing. That's my biggest hurdle at the moment with this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment