Friday, October 26, 2007

Writing update:

Ack.

To be fair to myself, which I do not wish to be, the first part of the week was fairly taken up with the blasted migraine/24-hour brain tumor/what-have-you. But I didn't get a lot of writing done this week until today. I won't even post a word count.

The structure of "Edison" is starting to take a real shape. The biggest challenge I am having is the setting; it's set in the late 1800s/early 1900s, and I keep butting up against setting questions. If I just leave a blank, which ordinarily works fine, the whole PAGE ends up being a pattern of words and blank underlines. So I've decided not to use the "leave a blank" method. The outline is kinda sorta firming up. I would call it a bendy willow kind of outline: I have the trunk, but it moves around a lot, and the branches are more numerous than any other outline I've worked with. (I could really overuse this analogy, but I am refraining.)

I also came up with some new approaches for "Manassas", but I haven't yet decided whether they will work.

Manassas and Edison are my big humongous projects.

I have to finish (haha, doesn't that imply I have done a ton?) a critique of one of my fellow Odyssey alums' novel. The overall critique was last month and went fine. This one is the so-called detailed critique, which feels like more of a line edit, to be honest. It's a big chunk of time. She's a talented writer, thank goodness. And young as snot.

No comments:

Post a Comment